Thursday, August 05, 2004

Aug 5

I am in Lima getting ready for Kathy's quince birthday. It was a long 22 hour bus ride from Ecuador. I like the Ecuadorians, to me, they're the banana people. They grow loads of them and prepare them in interesting ways. For example, I ate a grilled banana that was cut down the center and stuffed with a sour tasting cheese. It was actually quite good. I call it a grilled banana sandwich. I wasn't there very long, but I could tell it was a world apart from Peru. People are very rude on the street. No one says sorry when they accidentally bump into you on the street. They're a lot like the Paris people, uh robin. Ok ay, so I lied a little when I said I liked Ecuadorians. But, I didn't stay long enough for them to really piss me off. The scenery was beautiful in Ecuador. It is kind of amazing to travel by bus for two hours and go from a dessert coast, to a wooded coast, to jungle coast. I read an article today about Peru's government being corrupt. The president has a 13 percent approval rating, and thats on a good day. I knew the government was bad before reading the article, but it hinted towards revolt of the people. I would hate to be caught up in a revolution. After Lima, I am either heading towards the mountain or the jungle. I haven't decided yet, but I am leaning toward the mountain. I should mention something about Tumbes, Peru. It had a different style. The downtown wasn't the usual European architecture. Also, The Plaza de Armies had this really beautiful mosaic. The mosaic was 3D, fifty feet tall and depicted the surrounding landscape as well as a battle seen between Inca and Conquistador. Have you ever heard of a 3D mosaic? Also, It wasn't too safe of a place. There were untrained security guards at every corner of the market carrying shotguns. I mean these guns were not holstered. They were free to swing around and point at people. I asked if the gun was real. The guard pointed the barrel at his chest, shock his head yes and dragged his finger across his neck to indicate that it was real. I was convinced! The lesson is don't stay in Tumbes long or you'll get accidentally shot. I did buy myself a really cool football jersey here, though

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home