Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Aug 10

Where am I? Im in Haurez. It is actually pretty warm considering how high the altitude is. I expected it to be cold like Cusco or Arequipa. I like it here the people are friendly. The altitude hasn't given me too much trouble and things are good. Today, I climbed to lake Churup; it's 13,000 feet up and thats high. I could feel my heart ponding as it tried to keep up with my body's demand for oxygenated blood. I am trying to trick my body into producing more red blood cells because thats what I need to climb a mountain. The hardest part of the climb was when we were 5 minutes away. At this time, we were climbing the steeper portion of the trail next to the waterfall, also; thats were there was less air. When we got to the lake, we rested for an hour. It is quite difficult, but necessary, to rest when your body is telling you something is wrong. I had a resting (not moving) heart rate of 132/min, that would be a typical heart rate at sea level during an intense workout. I havenĀ“t decided which mountain to climb but itll be an easy one. I plan to buy most gifts for back home in Haurez because its a great place. before leaving Lima, I sold my fancy shoes for ten dollars, and dropped my boggie board off at Victors house. I dont need boogie equipment in the mountain or jungle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home